Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Tian can di que aka The Crippled Masters - Kei Law - HK - (1979)

 


Plot from Imdb: "Two men skilled in the arts of Kung-Fu are betrayed by their master and crippled for life, one left with no arms and the other with no legs..."

First of all, I must say that this movie is a great personal favorite: I discovered it back in the days of VHS, when my father used to go to the biggest VHS rental store I have ever seen (the mythical "Palace Video" in Paris) and let me choose half of the videos. Needless to say that my selection was based on the covers and this particular kung-fu gem attracted me immediately. Imagine, you're 12 years old and you see: "Kung-fu Monsters" (french title)...Impossible to resist. And I must add that my expectations for a deviant movie where matched: this was, at that time, the craziest movie I had seen.
That said, it's just an average, low budget, HK kung-fu flick from the end of the 70's, so what is so special ? Well, if we were doing a movie about people without limb in the western world, we would probably use prosthetics for the actors or even CGI, now...Back in the days, in HK, they used real people with disabilities.And if it's not creepy enough, the story is rough as hell, you see the people losing their limb and screaming in pain (witch would be considered in western society as bad taste if not intolerable). But the weirdness of the movie comes also from other things: the super-creepy kung-fu master adds another touch  to the improbable cast and the violence of some sequences are so "over the top" that you constantly oscillate between laughing out loud and vomiting your guts in disgust. A classic.


  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails